cross-posted from: https://retrolemmy.com/post/2211013
eXoDOS is an attempt to catalog, obtain, and make playable every game developed for the DOS and PC Booter platform. We strive to find original media rather than using scene rips or hacks. This collection uses DOSBox to allow these older games to play on modern systems. Games supported by ScummVM give the user a choice between emulators. All required emulators are included and have been setup to run all included titles with no prior knowledge or experience required on the user's part.
This pack includes 7,633 DOS games. The focus is on games that were either released in English or are fairly easy to play without a knowledge of the native language. This is not every DOS game ever made, however it is a very high percentage of all commercial releases. There are thousands of freeware, homebrew, and shareware games that will continue to be added in future packs.
Non English games will be released in Language Packs. Currently several are in development. All language packs require the base English pack to function properly.
There is also an optional Media Pack Add-On, which can be downloaded below. This adds books, catalogs, magazines, and game soundtracks to eXoDOS.
The games have already been configured to run in DOSBox.
New features include:
- Universal Game Options - Full screen vs Windowed, window resolution, and aspect ratio preferences are now stored in a single conf file and applied at launch. When you run the config (either at setup or when running install for a game), it will read these values and report them to you. When making a change now, it simply changes one file, instead of going in and changing over 7,000 files. This is much quicker and makes it easier for users to customize the pack with their own settings in the options.conf file.
- Universal Launcher - All games now have a very short batch file that points to a single launch file. This means any changes to the way games launch only need to be made a single time in a single place. An exception.bat file was added to account for games which have special options. The existence of this file auto diverts from the primary launcher. The big win here is the ability to make changes in a single file that benefit every game.
- DOSBox Index - This goes hand in hand with the universal launcher. Now, at launch, it checks a file called dosbox.txt that resides in the util folder. This file contains every single game, along with which version of dosbox it calls. If you want to use a different version of dosbox, you simply replace the existing dosbox calls with the ones of your choice rather than having to edit thousands of individual launch files.
- Multiplayer Index - Similar to the DOS Index, any game that exists on this list is treated as a multiplayer game, which means the ip.bat will run and generate your WAN and LAN IP's addresses in order to provide them for the host.
- Focused Collections - eXoWAD and eXoZZT take the best user created maps\worlds\conversions and present them automated and ready to play. This is in addition to the pre-existing Unlimited Adventures work that added hundreds of user created worlds to that title.
- All New Updater - The Updater, introduced in v5, has been somewhat problematic due to its reliance on a file host. I've rewritten it to now to check a small text file that resides on my website. This will have a dynamic link in it, which will allow me to upload the updated files anywhere I like rather than having their location hard coded into the update file.
- Printer Support - Games with the ability to print can now do so, straight to PDF.
- Media Add-On Pack - Books, Catalogs, Magazines, and Soundtracks related to MS-DOS games are available as an optional add-on pack.
- 30 Second Game Videos - The first complete (almost there) collection of MS-DOS Video Snaps, made exclusively for eXoDOS.
- Improved eXoDOS Plugin for LaunchBox - Custom installed playlist features and functionality for game extras and language packs.
- REELMagic Games - Support for games designed for the REELMagic MPEG Decoder cards.
- Auto CRT Shaders - DOSBox Staging's amazing feature that allows it to dynamically pick the best CRT shader for your video output and screen resolution. You've got to try it to believe it.
- Over 400 New Games